Creative Practitioner (freelance)
Location: Isle of Wight
Hours: Part-time, freelance
Salary: £20 per hour
Closing date for applications: 13 April 2017
Job Start Date: ASAP, subject to DBS clearance
Independent Arts is a small charity based on the Isle of Wight founded in 1987. We use the arts as a tool to improve health, wellbeing and quality of life for older people, and others in our community facing disadvantage or social isolation.
We are currently seeking a creative practitioner to provide stimulating and engaging workshops in care homes and other community settings.
The successful applicant will be able to offer a broad skills set in either Music, Performance, Movement, Fine Art or all of the above. They will have had previous experience working with vulnerable adults with learning difficulties and/or other physical disabilities or complex conditions.
In addition, the successful applicant will have had experience working in challenging environments and dealing sensitively with challenging behaviour.
- Delivering creative workshops which not only engage and entertain our participants, but also are safe and of high quality.
- Working confidently and sensitively with vulnerable adults and/or those with learning difficulties or facing disadvantage.
- Planning and adapting sessions to meet varying abilities and requirements.
- Reporting to and liaising with the Independent Arts Workshop Coordinator and office team.
- Representing Independent Arts professionally and upholding our reputation with current and new clientele.
- Working as part of the Workshops for Wellbeing team.
- Access to own transport to deliver workshops Island wide.
- Complying with Health and Safety information provided.
- Listening to, and engaging with, participants in a safe and confident manner.
- To report any incidents regarding safeguarding, accidents or health and Safety breaches to Independent Arts staff.
- Participating in training and professional development programs.
- Complying with Independent Arts policy documents.
- Staying aware of current trends and medical research that applies to the work we do and pride ourselves on.
- Experience working with challenging individuals.
- Commitment and dedication to running the agreed workshop dates provided.
- Musically trained and skilled in playing one or more instruments.
- Flexible working approach to meet the needs of different levels of health and ability.
- Knowledge of conditions affecting the elderly including dementia, respiratory conditions, heart conditions, strokes or other progressive illnesses.
- Clean full driving licence and access to a vehicle is essential due to the nature of delivering sessions across the Isle of Wight.
- Approachable nature and outgoing personality.
- A degree in the arts (e.g Music, Performance, Movement or Fine Art).
- Specific training in Dementia or other health conditions.
- Experience working within a care home setting.
- Skilled in more than one creative area (e.g Music and Art).
Independent Arts is an equal opportunities employer.
Relevant training and ongoing mentoring will be provided by Independent Arts.
The successful candidate will be subject to a DBS check.
Please apply with an up to date CV and a brief covering letter explaining why you feel you will be well suited to this role. Send to: email@example.com
We are always keen to hear from experienced practitioners in movement, art, music or reminiscence who may be interested in joining Independent Arts' rosta of freelance artists delivering sessions in care homes across the isle of Wight.
For further information, please
Do you have a few hours' spare each week to make a difference in the community? Find out about volunteering with Independent Arts.
Find out more