SingAbout Practitioner (freelance)
SingAbout is a singing activity launched by Independent Arts in 2011, based on recognised music therapies to promote health and wellbeing. Sessions are inclusive and designed to help those living with long term conditions, those who are socially isolated and older people who want to sing. SingAbout is all about the joy of singing. SingAbout is currently funded by The Henry Smith Charity.
Hours: 2 hours per week delivery in Freshwater (Monday 10.15am – 12.15pm) plus additional preparation time and admin.
Pay: Freelance Rate £60 per session
What it involves:
- Plan and deliver SingAbout weekly sessions at Freshwater Memorial Hall in accordance with training and information provided. Additional sessions may be available to cover holiday/sickness etc at our other SingAbout groups.
- Compile and maintain data on session attendance, volunteer attendance and other necessary paperwork including evaluations linked to grant funding criteria. Deliver these reports on a monthly basis to the Project Manager.
- Support existing group volunteers to get the most out of their volunteering experience and help train and induct new SingAbout volunteers during sessions.
- Build effective relationships with volunteers, session participants and carers to ensure that all abilities are catered for and needs are met. Create an environment conducive to therapeutic practise and appropriate for the individual’s present. At the heart of SingAbout is its inclusivity, it is vital that everyone’s voice is heard. This means listening to, and engaging with participants in a confident manner.
- Ensuring SingAbout venues are left clean, tidy and secure after sessions. Following procedures for opening and closing venues as set out in hall hires agreements. To comply with Health and Safety guidelines and Independent Arts policies. To report any incidents regarding safeguarding, accidents or health and safety.
- Participate in professional development activities to improve skills related to the role. Be aware of current developments in art and music therapy and links with health and wellbeing.
- Occasionally attending SingAbout promotional and marketing events.
- Liaising with SingAbout Project Manager and the SingAbout team.
- Wide range of musical knowledge including different eras, genres and styles.
- Experience and confidence leading group singing.
- Flexibility in working approach to meet the needs of different groups and different levels of experience and health.
- Knowledge of conditions affecting older people including dementia, respiratory conditions, heart conditions, stroke etc.
- Clean full driving licence and access to a vehicle is desirable, unless living close to the venue.
- Approachable nature and outgoing personality.
Relevant training and ongoing mentoring will be provided by Independent Arts.
This is a part-time freelance role and a DBS check will be required.
If you think this sounds like you, please send us your CV and complete the form below and email both to [email protected] with "SingAbout Practitioner" in the subject line. By 14th June.
Or post to: Independent Arts, 48 High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1SE
We anticipate SingAbout will be able to resume face-to-face after June 21st 2021, in line with easing of Covid-19 restrictions.